Embed this LifeMap and video on your site:
Before I Criticize Others, I Will...
Acknowledge My Own Faults:
- I will identify one of my own faults first!
- I will take a look at my own behavior and ask myself whether I do something similar now, or I have in the past?
When I point a finger at someone, three fingers are pointing back at me!
Try to Understand:
- I will look at things from their perspective and try to understand the reason for their actions.
- I will ask myself: If I were under the same circumstances, is there a chance I would have done the same thing?
Remember to Be Kind & Positive:
- I will first commend them (point out the positives) about something specific that they do right!
- I will be calm and rational (not emotionally upset or under great stress).
- I will not threaten, argue, or humiliate (call names, etc.) - putting someone on the defensive is counterproductive.
- I will never criticize the person, but always criticize the actions.
- I will make sure no one else is around.
Timing is everything - I will choose a time when they are rested and in a good mood
Have a Solution:
- I will have a specific solution in mind that I can share with them.
- I will focus on the future, not past mistakes.
“He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.” - Abraham Lincoln
“Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins.” - Native American Proverb
What do you think?How will you use this map, or what additional suggestions do you have?
Please share your comments below.